California Anti-SLAPP Laws Acts UPEPA
California California CaliforniaAntiSlappActsLaw
California Anti-SLAPP Laws
(Always check currency of statutes)
- CCP § 425.16 - Anti-SLAPP Motion
- CCP § 425.17 - Legislative Findings And Declarations Regarding California Anti-SLAPP Law; Application of § 425.16
- CCP § 425.18 - SLAPPBack Actions; Motion To Strike; Limitations Periods; Discovery; Remedies
- Cal.Civ.Code § 47 -- Privileged Publication Or Broadcast
CCP § 425.16 - Anti-SLAPP Motion
(a) Declaration of purpose; to be construed broadly
(b) Mechanics of the special motion to strike; action subject to motion; burden of proof; pleadings and evidence considered; finding not later useable
(c) Attorney's fees and costs recoverable; when; exclusion for some sections of Government Code
(d) Special motion to strike not available against government officials
(e) Things included in right of petition or free speech; statements and submissions to governmental authorities; public interest statements; constitutionally-protected conduct and speech.
(f) Deadlines for filing special motion to strike and for hearing by the court
(g) Stay of discovery pending ruling
(h) Complaint includes cross-complaint
(j) Reporting to Judicial Council; transmittal; maintenance of information
CCP § 425.17 - Legislative Findings And Declarations Regarding California Anti-SLAPP Law; Application of § 425.16
(a) Legislature finds abuse of Anti-SLAPP law
(b) Special motion to strike not available where plaintiff seek to enforce important public right; comparative benefit
(c) Special motion to strike not available against seller of goods or services in some contexts
(d) Exclusions from the exclusions of (b) and (c); dissemination of ideas; certain literary, political or artistic works, non-profits; appealability
CCP § 425.18 - SLAPPBack Actions; Motion To Strike; Limitations Periods; Discovery; Remedies
(a) Legislative purpose and intent
(b) Definitions of SLAPPback and special motion to strike
(c) Certain provisions do not apply to special motions to strike a SLAPPback
(d) Procedure on special motions to strike a SLAPPback; deadlines and discretion; scheduling by clerk
(e) Limited discovery rights
(f) Attorney's fees and costs if frivolous or delaying
(g) Appealability of special motion to strike a SLAPPback
(h) Where prior cause of action was illegal
(i) Non-applicability to public entities
Cal.Civ.Code § 47 -- Privileged Publication Or Broadcast
(a) Discharging official duty
(b) In legislative and judicial proceedings; exceptions; with malice or without reasonable cause; intentional destruction of evidence; failure to disclose insurance policy; lis pendens
(c) Communications without malice; interested parties; right to know; requested information; job performance; interviews
(d) Fair and true reports in public journals about judicial or other governmental proceedings; exceptions; violates Lawyer Rules of Professional Conduct; breaches court order; violates confidentiality
(e) Fair and true reports of public meetings and publication of matter for public benefit
- Briggs v. Eden Council, 19 Cal.4th 1106 (1999).
- California Cal.Civ.Code 47 Anti-SLAPP Laws Acts UPEPA
- California CCP 425.16 Anti-SLAPP Laws Acts UPEPA
- California CCP 425.17 Anti-SLAPP Laws Acts UPEPA
- California CCP 425.18 Anti-SLAPP Laws Acts UPEPA
- City of Cotati v. Cashman, 29 Cal.4th 69 (2002).
- Equilon Enterprises, LLC v. Consumer Cause, Inc., 29 Cal.4th 53, 52 P.3d 685 (2002).
- Gates v. Discovery Communications, Inc., 34 Cal.4th 679, 101 P.3d 552, 21 Cal.Rptr.3d 663 (2004).
- Jarrow Formulas, Inc. v. LaMarche, 31 Cal.4th 728, 74 P.3d 737 (2003).
- Ketchum v. Moses, 24 Cal.4th 1122 (2001).
- Kibler v. Northern Inyo County Local Hosp. Dist., 39 Cal.4th 192, 138 P.3d 193, 46 Cal.Rptr.3d 41 (2006).
- Navellier v. Sletten, 29 Cal.4th 82, 52 P.3d 703 (2002).
- Newport Harbor Ventures, LLC v. Morris-Cerullo World Evangelism, 4 Cal.5th 637 (Cal., Mar. 22, 2018).
- Rusheen v. Cohen, 37 Cal.4th 1048, 128 P.3d 713, 39 Cal.Rptr.3d 516 (2006).
- Soukup v. Law Offices of Herbert Hafif, 39 Cal.4th 260, 139 P.3d 30, 46 Cal.Rptr.3d 638 (2006).
- Varian Medical Systems, Inc. v. Delfino, 35 Cal.4th 180, 106 P.3d 958, 25 Cal.Rptr.3d 298 (2005).
- Wilson v. Parker, Covert & Chidester, 28 Cal.4th 811 (2002).